During the long and lazy summer days entertain friends with this icy- gin -fuelled gem.
Makes 1 litre
1 cup water
1 cup caster sugar
6 large fresh basil leaves
1 tbsp honey
1kg watermelon flesh, roughly chopped
½ cup gin (or Seedlip non-alcoholic distilled spirit – for a great mocktail option)
Fresh watermelon balls and pomegranate seeds to serve
1. In a small heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat add water, caster sugar and basil leaves. Bring to a simmer, stirring until sugar has dissolved and basil leaf flavours have infused.
2. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
3. Remove basil leaves from the infused sugar syrup.
4. Add honey, watermelon flesh, gin and the basil-infused sugar syrup into a bar blender and blitz to a well-combined purée consistency.
5. Transfer the watermelon gin mix into freezer-proof plastic container(s) and freeze until semi-frozen.
Place 5-6 watermelon balls into the base of a highball cocktail glass, top with watermelon gin slushy.
Note: You may need to scrape the frozen slushy mixture from the freezer container with a fork to craft a better slushy consistency.
Fill the glass to three-quarter height and top with fresh pomegranate seeds; garnish with a watermelon ball skewer.