500g caster sugar
1 tbsp liquid glucose
2 tbsp gelatine powder
2 egg whites
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
Icing sugar for dusting
1. Line a large baking tray with cling film.
2. In a medium saucepan combine the caster sugar, liquid glucose, and 200ml of water.
3. Over a low heat, stir until the sugar dissolves to form a syrup.
4. Bring the syrup to the boil and continue boiling until the temperature reaches 115C (use a sugar thermometer to measure this). Remove from heat.
5. Add 200ml of water to a small bowl.
6. Sprinkle the gelatine powder over the water and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
7. Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and stir until the gelatine powder has dissolved.
8. Stir the gelatine water into the sugar syrup, mix well.
9. Using an electric mixer whisk egg whites to stiff peaks. While continuing to whisk, gradually pour in the sugar syrup and continue whisking for 10 more minutes. At this stage the egg whites will become thick and glossy.
10. Add vanilla bean paste to the thickened egg whites and mix well.
11. Pour the marshmallow mixture into the lined baking tray.
12. Refrigerate the marshmallow mixture for one hour to allow the marshmallow to set.
13. Remove marshmallow from refrigerator, dice into 2cm cubes and dust with icing sugar.