Vanilla Ice-cream Base
150ml thickened cream
225ml full-cream milk
5 egg yolks
60g caster sugar
1 vanilla pod, halved and scraped
Ricotta and Crystallised Ginger Flavouring
500g vanilla ice-cream base
1 cup smooth ricotta
50g crystallised ginger, finely chopped
2 tbsp tokay/topaque wine (optional)
1. In a heavy-based saucepan add cream, milk and scraped vanilla pod and beans. Bring to a gentle simmer then remove from heat.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together yolks and caster sugar until thick and creamy.
3. Gradually pour the hot milk and cream mixture over the prepared egg yolks, whisking continuously until all ingredients are combined well.
4. Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over a low heat for 6-8 minutes, stirring continuously until the mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon. You have now created an anglaise.
5. Remove the saucepan from the heat and strain the anglaise into a glass bowl through a fine sieve.
6. While the anglaise is cooling, fold through ricotta, crystallised ginger and wine. Allow the strained anglaise to cool completely.
How to complete your ice-cream using a food processor
1. Pour cooled vanilla or flavoured ice-cream base into a large ziplock bag.
2. Lay the sealed ziplock bag on a flat tray and place in the freezer; chill until completely frozen.
3. Remove the bag of frozen ice-cream base from the freezer and, while still inside the locked bag, smash the contents on a kitchen benchtop until the frozen ice-cream base has shattered into small pieces.
4. Remove the shattered frozen ice-cream base from the ziplock bag and place in a food processor.
5. Blitz until smooth and creamy.
6. Remove the smooth, blitzed ice-cream from the food processor and transfer to an ice-cream container of your choice. Store the finished ice-cream in freezer.