Given the current COVID-19 crisis, it’s rapidly becoming very apparent that money saving recipes – soups, braises, sauces, tarts, preserves, foraged foods and more is going to help us all over the coming months. In the last few days we’ve put together a collection of recipes at essentialsmagazine.com.au to help many get a head start on feeding families extremely well, for less money.
Over the coming weeks and months, Essentials aims to continue with clever food strategies, supportive ideas to share, and additionally we’ve now opened up our website and iOS app Essentials Magazine Australia allowing FREE subscription. To install the iOS app, visit the App Store today!
Given we’re in the peak of apple harvest, here’s a fantastically simple gourmet recipe that the entire family will adore.
Tarte Fine aux Pommes (Fine Apple Tart)
Puff pastry (store bought is fine)
¼ cup sliced almonds
2 granny smith apples – peeled, cored and thinly sliced
¼ cup verjuice
1 vanilla pod, split and scraped or ½ tsp vanilla paste
¼ cup sugar
Pre-heat oven to 180C
1. Place a baking tray into oven to heat.
2. Cut the pastry into a 22cm circle using a large dinner plate as template and place onto a greased sheet of baking paper.
3. Sprinkle pastry with sliced almonds.
4. Coat sliced apples with the verjuice. Arrange the apples on the pie.
5. In a small saucepan, over a medium heat, gently melt butter, add vanilla seeds and stir to infuse.
6. Generously brush butter and vanilla seeds onto the apples, then sprinkle the sugar on top making even coverage.
7. Using oven mitts, take the hot tray from oven and carefully slide the baking paper with tart onto it.
8. Bake in oven for approximately 15-20 minutes or until cooked and golden.
Serve warm with Vanilla Ice-Cream.