Beechworth Honey has long been at the forefront of championing Australian honey and Australian varietal honeys. The business was created 25 years ago by husband and wife team Steven and Jodie Goldsworthy in Beechworth in North East Victoria.
Australian varietal honeys are made by the bees collecting the nectar of native trees in flower – mainly eucalypts but also other species, such as banksia and macadamia. Beechworth Honey has more than 500 hives in bushland across Australia. The honeys produced are unique and pristine, free of any agricultural pesticides, and truly delicious. Tasted side by side, the honeys reveal huge differences in texture, aroma, fragrance and length of palate; making them premium ingredients for desserts or as wonderfully fragrant toppings to your favourite dishes. The following recipe is one such example.
Greek-inspired Honey Cinnamon Doughnuts
200g self-raising flour
280g warm water
9g dry active yeast
1 tbsp Beechworth Honey’s Bee Delicate varietal honey (or other quality single origin honey)
1 tsp salt
Cinnamon sugar for coating
Sunflower oil for deep frying
1. In a large jug add the warm water and yeast and stir well. Cover with cling wrap and allow to stand for 10 minutes. Yeast will become activated and the water will begin to foam.
2. In a separate mixing bowl add flour, cornflour and salt. Stir until well combined.
3. While continuing to stir, slowly pour in the activated yeast, water and honey. Continue to stir until the batter becomes smooth.
4. Cover the bowl with cling wrap and allow the batter to rise for approximately 30 minutes. It will gain height and become aerated.
5. In a medium saucepan add enough oil to deep fry the honey doughnut balls. Heat oil to approximately 180C.
6. While the oil is warming transfer the batter to a large piping bag with large round nozzle.
7. Begin deep frying the doughnuts by piping in small amounts of the batter, cutting the portions with clean kitchen scissors as you go.
8. Use a slotted spoon to turn each doughnut, ensuring even cooking until golden brown.
9. Remove from the hot oil and drain well on absorbent paper.
10. Dust the honey doughnut balls generously in cinnamon sugar, ready for serving.
Serve the warm Greek honey cinnamon doughnuts topped with a generous drizzle of Beechworth Honey.
Essentials COVID-19 Supportive Coverage
Given the current COVID-19 crisis, it’s rapidly becoming apparent that money saving recipes are going to help us all over the coming months. In the last few days we’ve put together a collection of recipes at essentialsmagazine.com.au to help many get a head start on feeding families extremely well, for less money.
Over the coming weeks and months, Essentials aims to continue with clever food strategies, supportive ideas to share, and additionally we’ve now opened up our website and iOS app Essentials Magazine Australia allowing FREE subscription. To install the iOS app, visit the App Store today!