As the Whitsundays’ newest resort Elysian Retreat Long Island opens for business this week, we celebrate by sharing one of their in-house specialties: a Plated Prawn Cocktail with roasted tomato Marie Rose sauce and avocado cream.
The key to this plated prawn cocktail is the ultra fresh Whitsundays grilled King prawns combined with chilled, whole half baby cos lettuce sitting atop a roasted tomato Marie Rose sauce, dusted with quality smoked paprika. A side of cherry truss tomatoes are pre-oven roasted and cooled. Thin slices of green apple add a sweeter fragrance.
Serve with piped avocado purée, made simply by blending avocado and lime juice with a touch of salt and pepper.
Roasted Tomato Marie Rose
3 truss tomatoes
1 garlic clove, peeled and thinly sliced
3 egg yolks
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
Juice of 1 lemon
1 cup olive oil
Tabasco sauce, to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 160C
1. Slice tomatoes in half and place on an oven roasting tray, season with salt, lightly drizzle with olive oil and place sliced garlic on top of each tomato half.
2. Roast tomatoes until they collapse, approximately 20-30 minutes, remove from oven and allow to cool.
3. In a food processor add egg yolks, mustard and lemon juice. Process until emulsified.
4. With the food processor still running slowly drizzle in the oil to thicken the mixture into a mayonnaise.
5. Next add the cooled roasted tomatoes and garlic to the mayonnaise while the food processor continues to operate.
6. Season with Tabasco, salt and pepper.