Few desserts entertain better than a decadent cheesecake bursting with colour and natural fragrances. They may look tricky but we’ll let you in on a secret… they’re a cinch!
Sesame Ricotta Cheesecake Tart with baked strawberries and sweet balsamic dressing
1 x Cheesecake Biscuit Crumb Base (see recipe below)
Note: For the Sesame Ricotta Cheesecake Tart, add 2 tbsp black sesame seeds to the biscuit crumb base while blitzing.
250g cream cheese, warmed to room temperature
2 tbsp caster sugar
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
400g fresh ricotta cheese
Baby basil leaves and extra black sesame seeds for garnish
1. Prepare biscuit crumb base recipe, taking note of the additional black sesame seeds.
2. Transfer the rectangular flan tart tin to a refrigerator to allow the biscuit crumb base to cold set (approximately 10-15 minutes).
3. Combine cream cheese, sugar, vanilla paste and honey in the bowl of an electric mixer and mix until smooth and sugar has dissolved.
4. Using a spatula, fold through ricotta cheese until well combined.
5. Spoon generous amounts of the filling into the prepared flan tart tin with cold set biscuit crumb base.
6. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Preheat oven to 180C
1 punnet strawberries, topped and halved
½ cup brown sugar
1. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and arrange the strawberry halves evenly onto the paper.
2. Sprinkle generously with brown sugar, ensuring each strawberry segment is topped with sugar.
3. Place oven tray and bake until sugar has dissolved and strawberries have caramelised slightly.
4. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.
Sweet Balsamic Dressing
1 cup sugar
½ cup water
1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
1. In a small saucepan add sugar and water and bring to the boil.
2. Reduce heat and allow to simmer until a caramel forms.
3. Carefully add the balsamic vinegar (warning: it might splatter in the hot caramel), stir in and remove pan from heat.
4. Allow to cool.
Arrange the baked strawberries on top of the cheesecake, drizzle with sweet balsamic dressing and garnish with an arrangement of baby basil leaves and a small sprinkling of black sesame seeds.
Cheesecake Biscuit Crumb Base
Makes enough to line the base of a 20cm springform cake pan
200g buttersnap biscuits
125g unsalted butter, melted
1. Add biscuits to a food processor and blitz until a fine crumb.
2. While continuing to blitz slowly pour in the melted butter. Mix until well combined.
3. Remove from food processor and press into a lined springform cake pan (for New York and Turkish Delight Cheesecakes), rectangular flan tart tin (for Sesame Ricotta Cheesecake Tart) or lined muffin tins (for Individual Brûlée Cheesecakes).