Rosewater Meringue with poached strawberries and rhubarb, vanilla mascarpone cheese and dried rose petals.
Pre-heat oven to 90C
6 egg whites
375g caster sugar
1 tbsp white vinegar
1 tbsp rose water
1. Whisk egg whites while slowly adding caster sugar. Whisk for 10-12 minutes until stiff peaks form and all sugar has dissolved. When it’s right you should be able to hold the bowl upside-down. If you’re scared to do so, whisk some more!
2. Add vinegar, rose water and salt then whisk more.
3. Using a kitchen serving spoon, spoon quenelle-shaped (oval-shaped) meringues onto an oven tray lined with baking paper. Bake for 90 minutes.
4. Switch oven off. Leave meringues in the oven for 3-4 hours to cool gradually.
Strawberries and Rhubarb poached in Spiced Sugar Syrup
4 cups water
3 cups sugar
Juice of 1 lemon
2 cinnamon quills
4 star anise
4 cardamom pods
1 punnet of strawberries, washed, topped and halved
6 rhubarb stems, lightly peeled and chopped into 2cm lengths
1. Place all ingredients in a saucepan except the fruit and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes.
2. Poach strawberries for 3 minutes and rhubarb for 5 minutes.
250g Mascarpone cheese
1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
Method: Fold scraped vanilla seeds through mascarpone cheese.
Spoon vanilla mascarpone onto a meringue base centred on a plate. On top, layer another meringue and more mascarpone then top with poached fruits. Garnish with dried rose petals and poaching syrup.
Please Support Australian Journalism
Your contribution to the longevity of Australian journalism is important to us. Contribute by simply sharing this article with a friend by email, or on social media (see social share icons below), OR:
Subscribe to our app for iOS and Android for just $2.99 AUD per month. For a FREE app trial, simply search for 'Essentials Magazine Australia' in the App Store (Apple) OR Google Play Store (Android) to download the app. Thank you. Jamie Durrant, editor.