These luxurious single serve no-bake black forest cakes are designed to be frozen prior to serving, creating a unique frozen dessert option, perfect for spring and summer entertaining.
¾ cup raw cashew nuts
¾ cut coconut flakes
2 tbsp cacao powder
10 medjool dates, pitted
1 tsp coconut oil
¼ tsp sea salt flakes
1. Add the raw cashews and coconut flakes to a food processor and pulse until a crumb consistency is created.
2. Add cacao, salt and coconut oil and pulse again until well combined.
3. Next add the dates and pulse until the mixture comes together to form a dough-shaped ball.
4. Remove the base mixture from the food processor and divide into 4 equal parts.
5. Line 4, 10cm diameter springform individual cake tins with baking paper and spoon the base mixture into the bottom of each cake tin and flatten the surface using the back of a spoon.
Note: The cake base does not require baking.
2 cups raw cashew nuts, soaked in water for 8 hours
1 cup coconut milk
¼ cup coconut oil, melted
¼ cup honey
1 tbsp vanilla bean paste
2 tsp almond meal
Flavouring Additions to Filling
3 tbsp cacao powder
2 tbsp fresh espresso coffee
½ cup fresh cherries, pitted
1. Add the coconut milk, coconut oil, honey, vanilla bean paste and almond meal to a food processor and blitz until well combined.
2. Drain the cashew nuts and add them to the food processor and blend until creamy.
3. Remove half the blended mixture and set aside – this will be used later as the white layer of the cake containing fresh cherries.
4. Add the cacao powder and espresso coffee to the remaining filling mixture in the food processor and blitz until a whipped texture develops.
5. Evenly divide the cacao-espresso filling mixture into 4 parts. Spoon in this whipped mixture as your second layer in each cake tin and spread evenly.
6. Now refrigerate to set the cacao-espresso layer (it’s similar to a chocolate mousse).
7. Once set, remove the cakes from the refrigerator and scatter the cherries over the cacao-espresso layer (about 6-8 cherries is ideal).
8. Now return to your white cashew-coconut layer, divide into 4 equal parts and spoon over the cherries on each cake, ensuring even coverage. Smooth the surface of this layer using the back of spoon or a small spatula.
9. Return the cakes to the refrigerator and chill until set. Note: an option is to freeze the cakes for serving as a frozen dessert – perfect for summer entertaining.
To Decorate & Garnish
Coconut vanilla yogurt (major brands now make this sugar-free)
Dark chocolate shavings
Seasonal fresh berries
1. Remove cakes from tins and transfer to serving plates.
2. Spoon an even, generous layer of coconut vanilla yogurt on top of each cake.
3. Sprinkle with cacao nibs and decorate with fresh seasonal berries.
4. Garnish with dark chocolate shavings.