It’s the perfect luxe Aussie BBQ recipe – perfectly designed for spring and summer season celebrations: Crayfish Tail Brioche Sliders. Simply grab some crayfish tails from your fish monger, some fresh brioche buns from your local baker or even Aldi (shhh! we didn’t say that), and get the BBQ firing – assuming it’s a non total fire ban day of course!
Crayfish Tail Brioche Sliders
Freshly BBQ’d crayfish tails, sliced into medallions
Fresh brioche buns
Apple slaw (see recipe below)
Essentials’ Thousand Island dressing
(see recipe below)
1 medium celeriac, peeled, julienned, blanched
2 Fuji apples, julienned
2 sticks celery, thinly sliced
1 tbsp toasted caraway seeds
A handful freshly picked celery leaves
Salt and black pepper
Toss all ingredients together and lightly dress with Essentials’ thousand island dressing.
Essentials’ Thousand Island Dressing
3 garden-ripe tomatoes
1 garlic clove, peeled and thinly sliced
3 egg yolks
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
Juice of 1 lemon
1 cup olive oil
Tabasco sauce, to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 160C
1. Slice tomatoes in half and place on an oven roasting tray, season with salt, lightly drizzle with olive oil and place sliced garlic on top of each half.
2. Roast tomatoes until they collapse – approximately 20-30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
3. In a food processor add egg yolks, mustard and lemon juice. Process slowly until emulsified.
4. Slowly drizzle in the oil to thicken the mixture into a mayonnaise.
5. Next, with the food processor still running, add the cooled roasted tomatoes and garlic to the mayonnaise.
6. Season with Tabasco, salt and pepper to your taste.
Start assembling your crayfish sliders by adding about one tablespoon of apple slaw to each bun bottom. Top with two BBQ’d medallions of crayfish and finish with a dollop of Essentials’ thousand island dressing.