New Zealand freeze dried ingredient company Fresh As are culinary leaders in capturing the intense flavours of fresh fruits, herbs and many other food delicacies – literally frozen in time. Their products including freeze dried food segments and powders, give chefs a new set of creative powers – enhancing dishes with both flavour punch and great textural accompaniment. This recipe presents a little taste of its freeze dried magic.
Plum and Pistachio Semifreddo with Fresh As Plum Powder
4-5 whole spiced poached plums (seeds removed), plus poaching liquid (see recipe below)
⅓ cup (75g) caster sugar
400ml thickened cream
½ cup (75g) pistachios, chopped
Fresh As Freeze Dried Plum Powder
1. Place a 1.5L loaf tin, lined with a large overlapping piece of cling wrap, in the freezer to chill.
2. Separate egg whites and yolks into two small separate bowls.
3. Place the plums in a food processor with a little poaching liquid and blitz until smooth. Press plum purée through a sieve set over a bowl, discarding solids. Set aside.
4. Using a KitchenAid with the whisk attachment, add sugar and egg yolks to its bowl and whisk until creamy. Transfer to a separate bowl and wipe the KitchenAid clean.
5. Place cream in the KitchenAid and whisk to soft peaks, then transfer to a second separate bowl.
6. Thoroughly wash and dry the KitchenAid bowl then add egg whites and a pinch of salt, and whisk to firm peaks. Gently fold the whipped cream and the egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture until just combined.
7. Remove loaf tin from the freezer and add half of the semifreddo mixture to the tin. Spoon over half the plum purée rippling it through with the back of a spoon, then scatter with half the pistachios and a dusting of Fresh As Plum Powder.
8. Repeat layering process with remaining semifreddo and plum purée, pistachios and plum powder. Carefully fold the remaining cling wrap over the top of the semifreddo and transfer to the freezer. Freeze for five hours or overnight until firm.
Remove the semifreddo from freezer and stand at room temperature for 15 minutes until slightly softened. Dust with Fresh As Freeze Dried Plum Powder and serve in bowls using an ice cream scoop.
Spiced Poached Plums
1kg blood plums, halved and pipped
4 cups water
3 cups brown sugar
juice of 1 lemon
2 cinnamon quills
4 star anise
4 cardamom pods
1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped
1. Place all ingredients except the plums in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
2. Reduce heat to a simmer, add plums and poach until soft.
3. Allow plums to cool in liquid to infuse flavours. Can be preserved in jars.
4. Strain fruit ready for serving and reserve liquid for recipe preparation.
Please Support Australian Journalism
Your contribution to the longevity of Australian journalism is important to us. Contribute by simply sharing this article with a friend by email, or on social media (see social share icons below), OR:
Subscribe to our app for iOS and Android for just $2.99 AUD per month. For a FREE app trial, simply search for 'Essentials Magazine Australia' in the App Store (Apple) OR Google Play Store (Android) to download the app. Thank you. Jamie Durrant, editor.