Makes 2 tarts, serves 4
500g sweet pastry (see recipe below)
Sweet lemon zest and salade de fleurs to garnish
Lemon filling: makes 750ml
5 whole eggs
1 egg yolk
130g caster sugar
200ml thickened cream
130ml lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon zest
Preheat oven to 180C.
1. Roll out the sweet pastry to approximately 2-3mm thick and use it to line greased individual tart tins. Cover with baking paper, fill with dried beans and bake blind for 10 minutes. Remove beans and bake for another 10 minutes until golden.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine the eggs, egg yolk and caster sugar. Whisk together well.
3. Stir in the cream, lemon juice and lemon zest.
4. Pour the lemon filling into the baked, individual tart shells.
5. Reduce the oven temperature to 150C and bake the tarts for approximately 30 minutes or until just set.
6. Allow tarts to cool on a wire rack at room temperature.
Sweet Lemon Zest
Zest of 2 large lemons
1 cup water
1 cup caster sugar
1. In a small heavy-based saucepan add water and sugar. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
2. Add lemon zest and continue to cook until the syrup thickens.
3. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
Top individual classic lemon tarts with a teaspoon of sweet lemon zest and garnish with a light sprinkling of salade de fleurs. Serve with a vanilla bean flavoured double cream or cream of your choice.