Sweet Pastry – Makes 500g
140g cold unsalted butter, diced
100g icing sugar
1 egg, lightly whisked
230g plain flour
1. Put butter and sugar in bowl of electric beater and beat until creamy.
2. Add salt and drizzle in egg slowly, beat until smooth.
3. Sift in the flour and corn flour, mix briefly until it just comes together.
4. Tip dough out on floured surface and use your hands to shape a smooth ball, wrap with cling wrap and rest in a refrigerator for 45 minutes.
5. Remove from refrigerator, roll out dough evenly on baking paper and bake in oven at 180C until lightly golden.
6. Allow dough to to cool completely then lightly crush.
Smoked Salted Caramel Sauce
75g unsalted butter, diced
50g soft brown sugar
50g caster sugar
50g golden syrup
1 vanilla pod scraped|
125ml thickened cream
½ tsp Yileena Park Smoked Murray River Salt
1. In a small heavy-base saucepan over low heat add butter, sugars, golden syrup, scraped vanilla pod and seeds, simmer for 3 minutes. Swirl occasionally.
2. Slowly pour and stir in cream, continue to stir until it begins to simmer. Reduce for 2-3 minutes to thicken.
3. Season with Yileena Park Murray River Smoked Salt.
Note: The caramel sauce will continue to thicken once cooled.
Whisky Banana Mousse
Makes about 300ml
2 ripe bananas, mashed
2 tbs castor sugar
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp lemon
1 tbsp whisky
1 titanium strength (5g) gelatine sheet,
bowl of water
250ml lightly whipped thickened cream
1. In a heavy-base small sauce pan place bananas, sugar, whisky, water and lemon juice. Over a low heat slowly dissolve sugar into the banana mix.
2. Place gelatine leaf into a bowl of cold water until soft, then squeeze out with hand to release all water.
3. Stir soft gelatine leaf into warm banana mix until dissolved, allow to cool slightly.
4. Whip cream to soft peaks. Away from heat slowly fold the cream into the banana mix.
150g castor sugar
50g unsalted butter, diced
1. In heavy-base saucepan add sugar and heat gently until the sugar has completely dissolved.
2. Increase the heat and bring to the boil then simmer to a medium caramel.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the butter.
4. Pour into greased baking tray and cool.
5. When set hard, break into pieces and blitz into a powder.
300ml thickened cream
1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped
Whip cream and vanilla seeds together until soft peaks form.
125ml thickened cream
1 tsp ground nutmeg
100g dark chocolate
25g unsalted butter, cubed
1. Place cream and nutmeg in a small heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat and bring to simmer.
2. Remove from heat then add and stir in chocolate and butter until melted.
3. Leave at room temperature until you’re ready to serve, as it will thicken too much in a refrigerator.
Assemble banoffee pies by layering in jam jars in the following order: pastry crumb, chocolate sauce, banana whisky mousse, salted caramel sauce, vanilla cream. Garnish with caramel powder and fresh slices of banana.