NY Lobster Roll with Roasted Tomato Marie Rose
Essentials takes a bite of The Big Apple and surrounds. Come summer in the northern hemisphere, both NYC and regional NY chefs keep the plates fresh, clean and simple. Classic New York fare lives on.
4 sourdough individual baguettes
2 small to medium lobster tails, cut into bite-sized pieces
¼ wedge red cabbage, thinly sliced
1 small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1 medium-sized carrot, peeled, julienned
½ bunch chives, finely chopped
Dijon cress (micro-herb) to garnish
Lemon wedge and finely chopped chives to serve
1. In a large bowl combine lobster pieces, cabbage, red onion, carrot and chives.
2. Add a generous amount of Roasted Tomato Marie Rose sauce (see recipe below) and toss well.
3. Slice baguettes into halves and spoon lobster/slaw filling generously onto the base of each baguette.
Garnish the lobster/slaw filling with baby celery micro herbs and serve with a lemon wedge topped with finely chopped chives.
Roasted Tomato Marie Rose
3 truss tomatoes
1 garlic clove, peeled and thinly sliced
3 egg yolks
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
Juice of 1 lemon
1 cup olive oil
Tabasco sauce, to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 160C
1. Slice tomatoes in half and place on an oven roasting tray, season with salt, lightly drizzle with olive oil and place sliced garlic on top of each tomato half.
2. Roast tomatoes until they collapse, approximately 20-30 minutes, remove from oven and allow to cool.
3. In a food processor add egg yolks, mustard and lemon juice. Process until emulsified.
4. With the food processor still running slowly drizzle in the oil to thicken the mixture into a mayonnaise.
5. Next add the cooled roasted tomatoes and garlic to the mayonnaise while the food processor continues to operate.
6. Season with Tabasco, salt and pepper to your liking.