Autumn/Winter Waffles with poached pears, pecan crumble, salted caramel sauce and ricotta and crystallised ginger ice-cream
1 cup plain flour
4 tsp baking powder
2 tsp caster sugar
2 eggs, separated
½ cup melted butter
1 cup full-cream milk
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients.
2. Whisk egg whites until moderately stiff. Set aside.
3. In second bowl, mix together milk, melted butter and egg yolks.
4. Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until well incorporated.
5. Now fold the egg whites into the waffle batter.
6. Heat waffle iron, ladle in mixture and bake until golden.
4 cups water
3 cups caster sugar
2 cinnamon quills
1 vanilla pod, halved and scraped
Zest of 1 lemon
2 sprigs thyme
5 pears, peeled, halved and cored
1. Place all ingredients except the pears in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
2. Reduce heat to a simmer, add pears and poach until soft.
3. Allow pears to cool in liquid to infuse flavours.
Salted Caramel Sauce
Makes approximately 500ml
1½ cups caster sugar
130g brown sugar
300ml thickened cream
Salt to taste
1. In a medium, heavy-based saucepan add the sugar and water and stir over a low heat until sugar dissolves. Continue to cook until the sugar and water change to a golden caramel colour. This should take between 5 and 8 minutes.
2. Remove from heat and stir in brown sugar and thickened cream.
3. Return to heat and boil for 1-2 minutes allowing the brown sugar to dissolve.
4. Remove from heat and season with salt. Allow to cool before serving.
Freshly baked waffles
Poached pears, strained
Salted caramel sauce
Ricotta and crystallised ginger ice-cream (refer to recipe online: http://www.essentialsmagazine.com.au/recipes/ricotta-and-crystallised-ginger-ice-cream/)
Layer waffles with poached pears, pecan crumble, drizzle of salted caramel sauce and a generous scoop of ricotta and crystallised ginger ice-cream.